A prosecution over alleged offensive behaviour by former TV3 sports presenter Clint Brown is not warranted, police have said.
Taupo area commander Kevin Taylor said police had concluded their investigation "as far as possible" but that any new information would be acted on.
Brown was hospitalised with a broken eye socket and concussion on September 13. Witnesses claimed he was hit after allegedly verbally abusing people.
Commander Taylor said: "In relation to the alleged offensive behaviour by Mr Brown there will be no prosecution. Given the intervening circumstances, primarily the alleged assault on Mr Brown, I have concluded that a prosecution is not warranted.
Brown had been in Taupo for a promotional dinner organised by the New Zealand A1 motorsport team, and was alleged to have been drunk.
Commander Taylor said the "apparent excessive alcohol consumed by some parties" on the night of September 13 would be reported to the Liquor Licensing Authority.
TV3 suspended Brown shortly after his night out and on October 13 announced he had resigned from the network because it was "time for a change".
Brown had been a presenter since 1989.
- NZHERALD STAFF