Otangarei shooting: Police inquiries continue but no arrest yet

By Kristin Edge

Eleven days after a 25-year-old Northland man died of a gunshot wound the person who pulled the trigger is still on the loose.

But police say they are progressing with the investigation.

Moses Noor Mahanga, of Whangarei, was found dead in the driver's seat of a white Mitsubishi car parked on William Jones Dr, Otangarei, after reports of gunshots about 11pm on Tuesday, October 4. A post-mortem examination confirmed Mr Mahanga had died of a gunshot wound.

Witnesses told police they saw a person running away with what looked like a firearm.

Head of the investigation Detective Inspector Kevin Burke said a team of officers were investigating "strong lines of inquiry".

Detectives from Auckland had also been brought in to help, he said.

Mr Mahanga, formerly of Waiomio, was taken to Mohinui Marae, near Kawakawa, for his tangi last Monday.

Police continued to interview residents in William Jones Dr but police were urging anyone with information to come forward.

"We've had a good response from the community but we are keen to talk with those who might have something to contribute to the inquiry," Mr Burke said.

Earlier this week police asked for sightings of a small grey vehicle that was also in the Otangarei area.

Anyone with information should contact Whangarei police station on 09 430 4500 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

- Northern Advocate

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 23 Jan 2017 05:57:27 Processing Time: 614ms