A long-running family festival in Paihia is so popular it is not uncommon for tourists to plan visits to the town to coincide with the event.
The Paihia Summer Festival is about 15 years old and hosts a range of activities for kids and adults to get involved with during the summer holidays.
The event kicked off yesterday with Monster Mural Painting and a Dance Moves Workshop. Organiser Anika West said the event was always popular.
"It's for kids, families - all ages. It's run by the Paihia business association - Business Paihia. And it's local and it doesn't cost money."
All activities are free and Ms West said it was not uncommon for people to plan their holiday to Paihia around the festival.
"A lot of families book their family holiday around this time so they can go to events that are part of the festival."
Ms West said the event had got off to a good start yesterday and the very first Dance Moves Workshop hosted by Alannah Curtis from DDF Dance Studioz was enjoyed by children as young as 4.
"It's the first day of events, so it's not as popular but it really depends on events - the sandcastle event is a really big one," she said.
The festival runs until Sunday, January 10.
Tuesday, January 5
- Fun on the Green, 10am, Paihia Village Green. Old-fashioned competitions such as sack, three-legged, and wheelbarrow races.
- Digital photography safari, starts 1.30pm, Horotutu Park.
Wednesday, January 6
- Kids multisport event, registration at 9am at Bay Beach Hire on Paihia Beach; 9.30am safety briefing and start.
- Cardboard creations, 1pm, War Memorial Hall, Williams Rd.
Thursday, January 7
- Street Smart Funky Art Pavement Drawing, 10am, walkway beside Bayley's Real Estate, Williams Rd.
- Flippa Ball, 2.30pm, Panorama Resort, Haruru Falls -For ages 8 years and over.
Friday, January 8
- Paihia Dive, Kids Fishing Competition, 10am, Paihia Wharf, register at Paihia Dive on Williams Rd from 9.30am.
Saturday, January 9
- Build a boat, 10am, Paihia Beach.
- Beach Dig, BBQ and Games: Games and BBQ start at 12.30pm, Beach Dig 1.30pm.
Sunday, January 10
- Sandcastle Competition, judging 3pm, Paihia Beach,
For information on the events, times and where they will be visit paihianz.co.nz/events/entry/paihia-summer-festival3