Local business empties as gas leak sparks fire

Add a comment
Workers from Whangarei's Culham Engineering waiting to back to work after the fire. Photo/Michael Cunningham
Workers from Whangarei's Culham Engineering waiting to back to work after the fire. Photo/Michael Cunningham

Workers from Whangarei's Culham Engineering got to relax in the sun for an hour yesterday after being evacuated following a fire caused by a small gas leak.

A blaze caused by a leak in a pipe to gas-cutting equipment saw dozens of staff from the engineering firm evacuated while firefighters dealt with the small fire.

Whangarei Fire Service Senior Station Officer Brad Cunningham said firefighters were called to Culham Engineering, in Hewlett St, about 11.30am yesterday after the blaze started.

"Culham followed all the correct procedures, shut the gas off and evacuated the building, cut the power and called us, it was a great response" Mr Cunningham said.

"Just as we were about to douse the fire, it burnt itself out." Photo/Michael Cunningham

- Northern Advocate

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 29 Aug 2016 12:38:50 Processing Time: 532ms