Reti avoids gunbattle

By Mike Dinsdale

The workplace of Whangarei doctor Shane Reti is surrounded by armed police and security as the alleged second Boston Marathon bomber is treated in hospital for the injuries sustained in his dramatic capture.

Dr Reti, who has lived in Boston for six years, is based at the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, to which Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was rushed after being injured in a shootout with police last week.

In his hospital room in a serious condition with a gunshot wound to the throat and other injuries suffered in his attempted getaway, Tsarnaev, 19, was charged with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction.

Dr Reti said the past few days had been surreal, but there was now a sense of widespread relief that the bombers were out of circulation and people could get on with their lives.

"Beth Israel has armed guards outside the doors of that particular part of the medical centre and there's armed guards on every floor on the way up [to where the alleged bomber is being treated]," Dr Reti said.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was accused of joining his brother in setting off the shrapnel-packed pressure-cooker bombs that killed three people and wounded more than 200 a week ago.

His older brother, Tamerlan, 26, died after a fierce gunbattle with police on the campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The firefight at the institute happened about the time Dr Reti and others were driving through the campus, after band practice.

Dr Reti, who plays guitar in the band, said he and some band mates were travelling through the institute about the time of the shootout but that he saw nothing out of the ordinary and only realised there was drama on the campus when he got home about 15 minutes later.

"I turned on the TV and saw all this breaking news that they had shot one of them and I just thought, 'my goodness, we were there at the time and didn't see anything'. We must have been driving through there moments before it all happened," he said.

Dr Reti's daughter, Angela, stayed indoors the next day, but he had to return to his workplace to check on the facility and his colleagues.

"It was quite eerie going into work. Normally the place would be bustling on a Friday, but the streets were silent and empty," Dr Reti said.

- Northern Advocate

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 29 May 2017 08:14:46 Processing Time: 260ms