From humble beginnings and a seeding fund of £15 the Bay of Islands Hospital in Kawakawa is formally celebrating its centenary next month after being opened on January 17, 1913.
The Bay of Islands Hospital history began in 1911 with the formation of The Bay of Islands Charitable Trust Board with funds of £15.
After two years of vigorous lobbying of government and fundraising, the hospital was built and opened in January 1913.
Since its opening the hospital has had a history of providing care across the entire community including soldiers from the two world wars and sufferers of typhoid and tuberculosis (TB) outbreaks.
The hospital's maternity annexe was opened in 1927 and the TB ward and military annexe (now the community health building) were opened in 1943.
The centenary will be celebrated with the community and ex-staff members at an open day at the hospital, in Hospital Rd, Kawakawa, on March 8.
The order of the day will begin at 1pm with a blessing followed by speeches, a tour of the hospital and afternoon tea.
There will also be a function afterwards for existing and old staff members at the Kawakawa RSA club.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register interest in the function or for more information.
NDHB General Surgeon Dr Peter Milsom will be a guest speaker at the March 8 function.