Mystery over gas explosion

By Abi Thomas


Fire officers are unsure why a gas bottle exploded at a Northland petrol station, burning the man who was trying to have it filled.

Wellsford volunteer fire officers were called to the petrol Alley service station at Te Hana about 4.30pm on Saturday, with reports of a gas bottle exploding.

Wellsford station officer Scott Marchant said a man driving a campervan had gone to disconnect his gas bottle when it had exploded.

"Whether it had been leaking when he had turned it off, and by removing it he sparked something, I'm not sure."

The campervan wasn't a commercial brand but looked more like a self-converted one, Mr Marchant said. There was no fire by the time Wellsford officers arrived.

Mr said it was a good reminder to people to always turn off the gas bottle at the valve, rather than just the equipment it was connected to, such as a barbecue or camp stove.

- Northern Advocate

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 31 Aug 2016 17:40:50 Processing Time: 287ms