A ban on taking shellfish from Northland's west coast has been lifted.
The Northland District Health Board said monitoring of shellfish samples has shown a reduction in the levels of toxin that can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).
The ban was put in place in late November due to high toxin levels in the Kaipara Harbour and the coast northwards to Maunganui Bluff.
The DHB said anyone who is in doubt about the safety to shellfish from the area should contact Whangarei Hospital on 09 430-4100 and ask for the on-call health protection officer.
Anyone who becomes ill after eating shellfish should consult their doctor. Symptoms of PSP usually occur within 12 hours of consuming shellfish, and include: numbness and tingling around the mouth, face or extremities; difficulties in swallowing or breathing; dizziness or double vision; and in severe cases paralysis and respiratory failure.