Building consents on the rise again

By Brendan Manning

Master Builders Association New building consents are edging higher in Northland, giving local builders confidence the industry is back into action.

Statistics New Zealand figures show 52 consents for new dwellings were issued in Northland last November, worth $15 million - a slight increase year-on-year.

Northland Master Builders Association representative Darrell Trigg said there seemed to be a lot more "solid inquiry" around from clients.

"The word I'm getting is that certainly there seems to be a lot more people that are turning talk into action of late."

Mr Trigg said the global financial crisis could only limit building for so long and eventually people just had to get on with building projects.

"The wheels of the world have to keep turning. I know it's a cliche but, there's never a better time to build than right now. Suppliers are keen to get moving again so the prices are pretty sharp. It's a good opportunity."

Mr Trigg said he knew of people that had been sitting on plans for two or more years who were now putting them into action.

Nationwide, more than 1500 new residential buildings were consented last November - worth $524 million.

Statistics NZ industry and labour spokesman Blair Cardno said since the most recent low point in March 2011, growth in newly consented houses had risen steadily - continuing a 20-month trend.

"Excluding apartments, the trend for new houses is up by 41 per cent since March 2011."

Canterbury led the November increase - with 171 more newly consented houses than a year ago. Earthquake-related building consents in Canterbury totalled $59 million for the month.

Otago was the next biggest region - with 49 more new houses consented than in 2011.

Thirty-nine apartments were consented during the month - all retirement village units.

The value of all building consents last November was $1.05 billion, up 15 per cent year-on-year.

New buildings contributed $524 million (83 per cent) to the total residential building value, the remaining $109 million (17 per cent) came from alterations, additions, and other residential work.

Home improvements spurred by building reality TV shows and New Year's resolutions rocketed in the first week of 2013, according to online trades staff database

The company credited hit TV shows such as the The Block with inspiring people to turn their renovation resolutions into reality - backed up by a record number of jobs posted by property owners looking for trades staff in the first week of January.


Housing consents for November 2012


52 issued, worth $15 million.

49 issued in November 2011, worth $14m

618 issued in Northland in the 12 months ending November 30, 2012 - worth $166m.


1658 new houses, including apartments (up 20 per cent on 2011) worth $524m.

1619 new houses (up 27 per cent).

39 new apartments (down from 109).

16,675 new building consents issued nationally in the 12 months ending Nov 30, 2012 - worth $4.9 billion.

- Northern Advocate

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 25 May 2017 09:20:55 Processing Time: 459ms