Soft drinks, red wine, coffee and tea can stain your teeth, but there are also foods that supposedly whiten them as well - if you're patient:
1. Cheese, please: The lactic acid in cheese is believed to protect teeth against decay. Hard cheeses are best as they also help to remove other food.
2. Berry nice: Strawberries might stain your clothes, but mash them up and rub them on your teeth, leave for five minutes and then brush as usual and the malic acid in the berries is said to whiten teeth after a few months.
3. Raw power: Crunchy raw vegetables such as carrots can help to scrub your teeth as you eat them.
4. An apple a day: Keep the dentist, as well as the doctor, away by eating an apple to increase saliva production in your mouth.
5. Sweet and sour: Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with a pinch of salt or a baking soda and rub on your teeth. Beware of using too much too often - it can cause sensitivity.
- Herald on Sunday