How engorged is the Auckland property market? Reader Michael Bennett found a number of property options from around the world for less than the $850,000 price of this 2-bedroom place in Grey Lynn.
1. A 30m canal barge built in 1893, moored in Paris. 3 bedrooms and 90sq m lounge room. $349,000.
2. A 12th century monastery in France with church and 4-bedroom priory, on 1ha of land. $828,000.
3. A three-storey Balinese house in Ubud among rice paddies, with swimming pool and water garden. $683,491.
4. A castle in Romania. Some DIY needed, approved to be converted into 23 apartments. $531,767.
5. An established 13ha hazelnut farm in Poland. $295,000.
Lost for words?
Try these new words, which have been added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
aha moment: A moment of sudden realisation, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension [Oprah Winfrey's signature phrase].
craft beer: A specialty beer produced in limited quantities; microbrew.
cloud computing: The practice of storing regularly used computer data on multiple servers that can be accessed through the internet.
flexitarian: One whose normally meatless diet occasionally includes meat or fish.
gastropub: A pub, bar, or tavern that also offers meals of high quality.
man cave: A room or space (as in a basement) designed according to the taste of the man of the house to be used as his personal area for hobbies and leisure activities.
obesogenic: Promoting excessive weight gain.
shovel-ready: Of a construction project or site; ready for the start of work.
sexting: The sending of sexually explicit messages or images by cell phone.
(Via The Atlantic Wire.com)
Aha moment for interviewer
Not all women are clothes horses: This from an interview in Kyrgyzstan of US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Interviewer: Okay. Which designers do you prefer?
Hillary Clinton: What, designers of clothes?
Hillary Clinton: Would you ever ask a man that question?
Interviewer: Probably not. Probably not.
Just a few moments before, Clinton had fielded a question on the extra challenges women face because they're judged more than men on their appearance. (Via Politix.topix.com)