1. Onehunga War Memorial Pool, opposite Jellicoe Park, off Quadrant Rd
These outdoor pools have waterslides, diving boards, children's water toys and barbecues on the grass area. Head indoors to a grown-ups-only sauna, spa and steam room to relax post-swim.
2. Lagoon Leisure and Fitness Centre, Lagoon Dr, Panmure
Here you'll find outdoor pools, a hydroslide, diving boards, and an adventure playground - all kid magnets in the summer. The outdoor area and gardens with barbecues and shaded picnic tables are great for family picnics and functions.
3. Massey Park Aquatic Centre, 2 Ron Keats Dr, Papakura
The indoor pools have an African Jungle theme with a wave pool beach area and a lazy river, but in summer the heated 50m outdoor pool is the place to be, with little pools for the little people.
4. Pt Erin Pools, Shelley Beach Rd, Herne Bay
With breathtaking views of the harbour and bridge, spreading trees and plenty of grassy spots for a picnic, Pt Erin has been a favourite for generations of Aucklanders. A diving well, spa pool, sauna, basketball and volleyball court make this a place you can stay all day.
5. Parnell Baths, Judges Bay Rd, Parnell (alternative parking and entrance from Tamaki Dr and St Stephens Ave).
Parnell's 60m salt water pool is a one-of-a-kind in Auckland. There are also hot pools, loungers, and a grassy picnic area with views of the harbour and Rangitoto. You might even catch the synchronised swimmers at practice.
6. Totara Park Pool, Wairere Rd, Manurewa
Situated next to one of the city's biggest urban bush parks, Totara Park Pool offers great fun in the sun and is situated in an idyllic environment. With a lap/leisure pool and a toddlers' pool, the complex is popular with community and school parties.