The International Red Cross has tripled its emergency aid appeal to help survivors of the earthquake, which killed more than 5800 people in Indonesia last month.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said it was increasing its appeal to US$31 million ($49 million), after donors covered its initial May 27 request for US$10.4 million.
The federation said additional money was needed to provide medical care, food, drinking water, sanitation facilities and emergency shelter for an estimated 325,000 people over the next 12 months.
It is also hoped it will cover longer-term aid such as psycho-social support, disaster preparedness and efforts to rebuild livelihoods in the affected area.
"Recovery doesn't happen overnight, but recent major disasters, like the Pakistan earthquake, have taught us that the earlier we start planning for it, the sooner survivors are able to rebuild their communities and return to normal life," a federation spokesman said.
The 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck on May 27 near the city of Yogyakarta on the island of Java.
Since the disaster the Indonesian Red Cross, backed by the international federation, has provided emergency shelter, food, hygiene items and sleeping mats to more than 40,000 people.
A rapid assessment team from the IFRC is examining long-term recover needs in the affected region while continuing to plan for an eruption of the nearby Mt Merapi volcano, which has seen recently seen increased activity.
- RADIO AUSTRALIA / HERALD ONLINE STAFF