Motorsport: V8 Enforcer is still on track

By Ben McKay

Russell Ingall, known to all as The Enforcer.
Russell Ingall, known to all as The Enforcer.

Former V8 Supercars champion Russell Ingall has agreed to a deal with Holden outfit Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport to contest his 19th straight season.

Ingall, known to all as The Enforcer, confirmed the move yesterday, ending speculation he could end one of motorsport's longest drives.

Despite his 2013 campaign being badged "the last stand", Ingall withdrew his intentions to leave the sport and secured the team's sole car after brokering a deal.

Ingall has revealed, however, his 19th season nearly didn't happen.

"Over Christmas I'd resigned myself to the fact it was going to be endurance racing and that was going to be me," he said. "Call it ego or whatever it was, I wasn't sure how comfortable I felt with that."

When the opportunity arose to join the young team, Ingall said the advice from his wife, Julia, helped tip him over the line.

"She said 'What else have you got to prove? Who cares if you go with a team where people are going to say why are you going to do that to yourself?'," he said.

"I'm not naive enough not to take female input even though our sport is dominated by men.

"I mean, I could run around the back of the field and look like a flog but I reckon I'll be all right."

The two-time Bathurst champion is excited about the season which begins with Adelaide's Clipsal 500 on March 1-2.

"It's Triple Eight built, the car that won the championship last year, so it's a nice little toy to play with," he said.

Ingall will have his first run in his new car - a Triple Eight Race Engineering-built Holden Commodore VF - next weekend at Sydney Motorsport Park.

- AAP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n3 at 31 Aug 2014 14:17:52 Processing Time: 391ms