It's been a fairly mild winter so far and stores are already starting to prepare for the first drop of spring deliveries. So it's time to look ahead at pieces you can wear into the warmer season.Despite several structured and boxy pieces still making a statement, it's the more relaxed separates that are allowing a no-brainer approach to dressing in between seasons, with a focus on the louche and languid.
Voluminous coats, boxy tops, full-circle skirts and wide-leg pants are key pieces that fit the brief, with tactile trims such as snap dome buttons, belt ties and clean lines reinforcing this sense of volume at ease, with plenty of options still available to see the season out.
Known for her clever cutting and love of oversized shapes, designer Kristine Crabb again focuses on trans-seasonal pieces with her line of signature voluminous dresses, coats and jumpsuits. Although crimson vinyl might sound a dubious choice of fabric to be inspired by, Miss Crabb's current collection has yielded a more than acceptable piece in the form of the London Coat Cherry (#4).
It's an ideal throw-on piece with jeans and a T-shirt, or belted at the waist with a matching tie complete with snap buttons and wide sleeves.
Denim continues to have its moment with classic blue boyfriend-cut jeans a popular choice for those looking for a relaxed fit. Worn with an equally voluminous coat or jacket on top, it's a slick way to explore this trend without looking like you're swimming in layers of fabric.
Gallery: Check out the five looks we love
1. Georgia Alice top, $329. Vanishing Elephant skirt, $420. Number One Shoes flats, $70. Deadly Ponies fur scarf, $320. Miu Miu Sunglasses, $665, from Sunglass Hut. Mi Piaci handbag, $189.90.
2. Ingrid Starnes coat, $559. Topshop jeans, $100, from The Department Store. Kate Sylvester skivvy, $195. Stuart Weitzman heels, $520, from Scarpa.
3. Karen Walker jacket, $415 and pants, $380. Ruby shirt, $149. Topshop slip-on shoes, $140, from The Department Store.
4. Miss Crabb coat dress, $580. Stuart Weitzman thigh-high suede boots, $1150, from Runway. Mi Piaci handbag, $420.
5. Acne trend coat, $989, from Workshop. Ruby sweater, $129. Trelise Cooper pants, $399. Stella McCartney loafers, $990, from Runway.
• Deadly Ponies
• Georgia Alice
• Ingrid Starnes (09) 555 9452
• Karen Walker
• Kate Sylvester
• Mi Piaci
• Miss Crabb (09) 361 3322
• Number One Shoes
• Sunglass Hut
• The Department Store (09) 489 4202
• Trelise Cooper
• Vanishing Elephant (09) 378 0072
Stylist: Dan Ahwa
Photographer: Greg Bowker
Hair and makeup: Katie Melody Rogers using M.A.C Cosmetics
Model: Danika Rooney from 62 Models
Stylist's assistant: Kama Scretching