• 5 tbsp olive oil
• 2 medium eggplants, unpeeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
• 1 medium onion, cubed
• 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 400g cans of diced tomatoes in juice
• 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp drained capers
• ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
• Toasted pine nuts
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
2. Add eggplant, onion and garlic cloves. saute until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes.
3. Add diced tomatoes with juice, then red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil. Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold. Caponata can also be made two days ahead. Cover and chill, then serve on baguette slices or crackers.