The print shirt has become a staple in womenswear for several seasons now, with a focus on bold prints and perennial floral favourites. Guys get a look-in too this season, particularly with micro floral prints that can be worn both at work and the weekend.
Floral prints were a key focus at the recent spring 2014 menswear collections, from Dries van Noten's ode to men who loved to wear florals such as Jimi Hendrix and Jean Cocteau; to Miuccia Prada's take on the ubiquitous tropical print, re-worked into a subversive combination of Polynesian florals in a dark palette reminiscent of a Paul Gauguin painting.
The iconic Liberty prints from London have made its way into some of this season's key shirt looks from Gubb & Mackie. The "Harrier Citron" shirt, for example (#1), highlights a fresh floral print that works well with a pair of chinos or navy dress pants for those formal summer occasions ahead. Complete with mother of pearl buttons and a soft, interlined collar and cuff, it's the perfect nod to modern dandyism.
Delicate floral prints feature elsewhere such as Salasai's short-sleeved hydrangea print shirt with black contrasting buttons (#3). The "Saigon shirt" by Stolen Girlfriends Club (#6) works well underneath a black tuxedo jacket and trousers for a new take on formal wear. The print itself is impressive, highlighting a kaleidoscopic blend of moth and exotic flora with an oriental twist.
Our floral favourites
1. Gubb & Mackie shirt, $275, from Crane Brothers. Barkers tie, $69.99. Stolen Girlfriends Club trousers, $240.
2. Gubb & Mackie shirt, $275, from Crane Brothers. Barkers cable knit jumper, $149.99. Stolen Girlfriends Club trousers, $240.
3. Salasai shirt, $169. Stolen Girlfriends Club trousers, $240.
4. Topman shirt, $75, from The Department Store. Barkers chinos, $129.99.
5. Vanishing Elephant shirt, $174.95, from The Department Store.
6. Stolen Girlfriends Club shirt, $288 and trousers, $240.