Use the following as a guide. Dig into the depths of your spice rack/cupboard and use up the old stuff first as spices don't last forever.
Pop Dining Spice blend
• 1 cardamom pod - 3c
• 1 star anise - 2c
• 1 stick cinnamon - 30c
• 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns - 23c
• 1 tsp black peppercorns - 7c
• 1 tbsp shredded dried chilli - 17c
• 1 tsp fennel seeds - 11c
• 1 tsp cumin seeds - 6c
• 1 tsp coriander seeds - 8c
Total cost of spice blend = $1.07
1. Toast spices until fragrant and blend in a spice grinder or pulverise in a pestle and mortar.
2. Slice one pumpkin into even-sized pieces (3kg =$6).
3. Toss in 100ml grapeseed or peanut oil (50c).
4. Toss in about half the spice mix and a little salt (54c) = $7.04.
5. Spread out sparsely on an oven tray and roast in a hot oven until it smells and tastes good but has not turned to mush, check after 20 minutes.