With their delicious aroma and soft texture, scones are an all-time favourite. They turn basic, inexpensive ingredients into something truly special.
They're so easy to make, even little hands will be able to get in on the action and they'll be well rewarded for their efforts.
* Use a butter knife to mix the dough and bring it lightly together with your hands. This avoids overworking the gluten in the dough.
* Use very cold butter to ensure a flaky texture.
* Dust the scone cutters in flour before cutting each scone. This will stop them from sticking to the dough.
* Placing the scones close together on the tray will help them to rise.
* Scones are delicious with a range of flavours, from the classic vanilla-scented cream and jam to marmalade and butter. Be creative with your condiments.By Donna Hay