Rugby: Tough finish for under-20s team

By Shane Hurndell

An injury-ridden Hawke's Bay Under-20s rugby side ended their season with a 19-16 loss to their North Harbour counterparts in Rotorua on Saturday.

The Hurricanes champions led the Blues champions 11-7 at halftime.

Hawke's Bay captain and New Zealand Under-20s hooker Rhys Marshall was inspirational in his final outing for the Bay before transferring to Canterbury.

Former New Zealand Secondary Schools No8 Levi Guildford was another to impress in the Alexander Construction Hawke's Bay Under-20s pack.

Second five-eighth Ted Walters made the most of his limited opportunities in the Bay backline. In his first starting XV appearance for the side Jonathan Ruru operated well in both the halfback and wing positions.

Winger Zane Crook was again thirsty for work until an injury forced him to leave the field in the 20th minute. Starting fullback Tamati Samuels lasted three minutes before collecting a game-ending injury.

Crook and Marshall scored the Bay's tries and first five-eighth Adam Blake kicked two penalties.

The Hawke's Bay Tuis remain winless with one game remaining in the women's NPC.

Defending champions Auckland Storm ran in 13 unanswered tries during a 73-0 drubbing of the Tuis at Auckland's Western Springs on Saturday. The Tuis host Manawatu in their final out of the season this Saturday at Napier's Park Island.

The Hawke's Bay Under-13s were walloped 55-0 by their Wellington counterparts in Eketahuna on Saturday.

Wellington led 36-0 at halftime. Busy No8 Cameron Huata and Nick Hutton were the best of the Bay forwards while first five-eighth Lincoln McClutchie and second five-eighth Josh McIntyre were the pick of the Bay backs.

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

Stats provided by

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 25 May 2017 23:40:59 Processing Time: 280ms