Hawke's Bay has plenty of activities and events for people of all ages to enjoy. We list 6 of the best on offer this weekend.
1. Tikokino School Country Fair
Head along for some fine fun at a good old-fashioned country fair. There will be plenty of stalls to browse, live entertainment and Devonshire Tearooms serving some famous Tikokino home baking. There will also be old-fashioned games and entertainment, pony rides and raffles. So take a drive in the country and add your support to this historic little country school which is celebrating educating for 150 years.
* Tikokino Primary School, Owen St, Waipawa, today from 10am to 2pm. Something for all ages. Admission is free.
2. Dance Kaleidoscope
Dance Kaleidoscope is a colourful dance spectacular presented by the Heather Brunsdon School of Dance. The variety programme, suitable for the whole family, includes cute cats, beautiful fairies, snappy tappers, stunning ballets, snazzy jazz, contemporary and beautiful lyrical dances.
Dance stars as young as three through to senior students will entertain as they share their enjoyment of dance. Head along and support amazing local dancers.
* Napier Municipal Theatre, today, shows at 1pm and 5.30pm. All ages and tickets on 0800 842 538.
3. Tiki Taane: One Man Band
This musical activist takes his one-man-band show to the Black Barn Market Round for one night only. Renowned as much for his powerful, headlining live performances as he is for the anthems he writes and produces, Taane's extraordinary ability to rock the mic as both a gifted performance MC and/or a solo acoustic performer is something to be experienced first-hand. His show will be full of great tunes, beautiful vibes and a killer performance from one of Aotearoa's most talented and diverse musicians.
* Black Barn Vineyards, Black Barn Rd, Havelock North, tonight from 7.30pm to 10.30pm. General admission $32. Buy Tickets: phone 06 877 7985.
4. Dirty Disco Party
The 70s sounds of the Cabana Dirty Disco Party with DJ RAB will emerge tonight, when disco devotees can enjoy hits by Prince, The Bee Gees, Sly and The Family Stone, Earth Wind and Fire, Sister Sledge, The Pointer Sisters, The Commodores, Osibisa and many more. There will be a $50 bar tab for the best dressed male and female, so get that dance kit on.
* At the Cabana, Napier, tonight from 8pm to 1am. R18 and general admission is $8.
5. Napier's Downtown Festival
Destination Napier invites everyone to the inaugural Napier's Downtown Festival, to join their celebration of the re-opening of Hastings St North. Indulge in local culinary delights as you enter a hub of art and cafe culture, and maybe throw in a spot of shopping, some live music and your Sunday afternoon is sorted. So head down and enjoy some sunshine, invite a friend for a cup of something delish and enjoy what Napier has to offer.
* Tomorrow, Hastings St, Napier. The festivities will commence with the official reopening of the street at 11am, followed by an afternoon of live music and entertainment. The local cafes and bars will be open, with extended seating out onto the street. Hastings St, Napier, from 11am to 7pm.
6. All Aboard Concert
The Linden Singers will present their end-of-year concert, which they have called All Aboard in St Matthew's Church in Hastings. The first half features a bracket of anthems based on Psalm 23. The programme includes some seasonal music. In the second half the choir takes a light-hearted look at modes of transport. Napier-born baritone Richard Harris joins the fun with two songs by John Ireland.
* St Matthew's Anglican Church, King St South, Hastings, tomorrow from 2.30pm to 4.30pm. All ages. Adult $20, senior citizens $15 and students $5.