Local high school bands will get the chance to show off their talents at the Smokefreerockquest Hawke's Bay regional finals play off at the Napier Municipal Theatre on June 18.
High school bands from Hawke's Bay competed in heats earlier this month and now the top 12 bands are set to play off for first and second place prizes and the opportunity to go into the judging pool for the coveted six spots at the national finals in September.
Smokefreerockquest founder and director Glenn Common says at the regional final level some entrants are already demonstrating the stand out factor that may see them achieve musical success.
"The benefits of coming together, meeting fellow musicians and playing to a live audience can't be overstated," he said.
"Becoming a performing artist is not a one-day project - it's a long road until you're writing the sort of songs that help to shape a nation's identity as some past Smokefreerockquest winners like Anika Moa and Jason Kerison have done."
The event will be held at 7pm at the Napier Municipal Theatre on Saturday night, June 18. Tickets are from Ticketek.
The bands are:
* Headlock, Havelock North High School
* The Youth Theory, Napier Girls' High School
* Fyveyes, Napier Boys' High School
* Jupiter, Taradale High School, Sacred Heart College
* Unmasquerade, Napier Girls' High School
* Critical Theory, Napier Boys' High School
* Precious Years, Havelock North High School
* Regal in Black, Napier Girls' High School
* Horizon, Hastings Boys' High School
* The Heck, Havelock North High School
* CEMystery, Central Hawke's Bay College
* Ommiam, Havelock North High School