Three men in court following Flaxmere assault


Three young men appeared at the Napier District Court yesterday to stand trial in relation to two stabbings that took place on the night of March 25 last year.

A 29-year-old man and a 17-year-old man were hospitalised after allegedly being set upon by the three accused and others who were part of the same group during a brawl on Baker St in Flaxmere.

The accused have all been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The group of youths are known as FBL, which stands for Flawless Bloodlines.

Crown Prosecutor Clayton Walker said the group had become involved in a fight with another group of youths on the night in question. Mr Walker said the 29-year-old victim, of Samoan descent, fell to the ground during the brawl and was subsequently punched, kicked, hit with a pole and stabbed with a variety of weapons including fence pailings.

He suffered multiple stab wounds to his body, facial injuries and a broken left leg. He was knocked unconscious during the attack.

The second incident took place almost two hours later on neighbouring Chatham Rd when the 17-year-old victim, also of Samoan descent, was set upon by the group.

Mr Walker said the decision to target the man was based on his race. He said the group took turns to punch the man who eventually got away.

"At this point he was largely uninjured. A bit bruised from the attack but okay. Two members of the FBL then decided to attack him again."

The victim was then stabbed twice in the back which resulted in a punctured lung.

Two members of the FBL have already admitted their part in the incidents and will take the stand in the coming days to testify against the three.

- HAWKES BAY TODAY

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a5 at 23 Aug 2014 01:31:34 Processing Time: 873ms