Warning of dry dangers as roadside verge burns


A fire that swept through a grass verge yesterday was a warning for the summer ahead, fire experts say.

Two appliances and a tanker attended the 5.30pm blaze on Omarunui Rd, Puketapu that swept through a 200m strip of thick scrub.

The roadside strip was charred to the ground, and crews spent about an hour putting the flames out.

Principal Rural Fire Officer Trevor Mitchell said it was surprising the fire did not burn adjacent paddocks.

"The message we want to put out to the public is things are very dry at the moment, even when it looks green, and they need to be very careful and report any unattended fires," he said.

There was a number of factors that could have started the fire, he said.

Properties nearby were not damaged.

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 13 Feb 2016 15:37:48 Processing Time: 608ms