TOP STORY: Lolly causes havoc

Milk company Fonterra is keeping a tight seal on their investigation into a milk tanker which crashed through three homes in Waipawa on Saturday night.
A media spokesperson for the company said its investigation would be completed by Friday and until then it would not release any details of how the accident might have occurred.
Neighbours Hawke's Bay Today spoke to at the accident scene said they had heard the driver had choked on a hard sweet and lost control of the truck.
He had been sucking the blackball to prevent him smoking.
The accident occurred about 7.45pm when the driver apparently lost control of the truck on State Highway 2 as it was travelling south, entering Waipawa and it smashed into three homes.
Police and fire services set up lighting and remained at the scene until 2am the next day, while Fonterra organised a second tanker to transfer the 25,000 litres of milk.
Fonterra's media spokesman said the company was aware of the rumours but did not want speculate until the investigation had been completed.
Fonterra was also reluctant to release details of the driver of the milk truck, saying only he was an "experienced driver who had worked for the company for 10 years."
"The driver has cuts and is still very sore, he's resting at home," the spokesman said.
The spokesman declined requests to speak to the driver, who is believed to have come from Masterton.
"There's very little we can say at the moment, we've got out own investigation and the police have theirs," he said. A neighbour who came to help, Kesler Hema, said she saw the driver being helped out of the house by paramedics.
"He looked about 60, there was a lot of blood coming from his head and hands.

The paramedics were leading him out and it looked like he didn't know where he was. He was disorientated and didn't say anything," Miss Hema said.
Waipawa police constable Neil Baker said no one had been charged over the accident and police were still investigating.
Mr Baker and Waipawa deputy chief fire officer Gordon Annand said they were also aware of speculation of how the accident occurred.
"From what I've heard the driver chocked on a blackball (lolly)," Mr Annand said.
On Sunday, the truck was removed from the houses and Mr Annand said he believed the houses would have to be demolished because they were unsafe.
John Ashman, who had been inside the third home resting with a broken ankle, was rescued by neighbours. His other leg was broken in two places and he is now is a stable condition in Hawke's Bay Hospital, where he will remain for another two to three days.
After surgery Mr Ashman is taking his coffee black.
"I won't ask for any milk - I've had enough. Most people have it delivered by the litre."
Mr Ashman said he had been reading in his favourite chair when his dog Zak leapt up, started whining, and ran down the hallway.
Mr Ashman, unable to move without crutches, sat paralysed as the truck barrelled towards his window, exploding into his room and breaking his other leg.
The fireplace was thrown towards him, and Mr Ashman was bowled sideways in his chair, as the truck landed where he had been sitting.
Mr Ashman said he and the driver made a pact in the ambulance taking them to hospital - to buy a Lotto ticket together.

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 Mar 2017 16:14:38 Processing Time: 402ms