Napier's Art Deco Trust has announced Marewa residents Stuart and Linda Angus as winners of this year's Art Deco Garden Award.
The couple have created a new garden, framing a garage addition which matches the original design of their house at 15 Logan Avenue.
Winning the award carries the Bloom's Garden Trophy, donated by Bloom's Fine Jewellery. High recommended were:
* Jill and Russell Shelford, whose garden at 19 Sanders Avenue demonstrated that an Art Deco could feature brightly-coloured flowering plants.
* 26 Sanders Avenue, which uses spiky palms to achieve a Deco look.
* An original garden at 32 Georges Drive which, the trust says, looks just as it must have when the property was new.
* A garden which enhances a Spanish Mission house at 26 Herrick Street.
* Mary Shanahan and Richard Weston's courtyard garden at 5 Gladstone Road, which brings together sensitive and appropriate hard landscaping and planting.
Trust executive director Robert McGregor said the standard of entries was markedly above last year's.
There appeared to be more interest in cultivating Art Deco gardens, which the trust hoped was a result of its efforts to provide information about gardens which complement Deco houses.
The trust regularly received requests from all over the world for its "Art Deco Gardens in Napier" leaflet.
"This is because an internet search for 'Art Deco gardens' brings up only three results, with the Art Deco Trust occupying second and third place," Mr McGregor said.
The trust was preparing to publish the garden leaflet and several others in colour.
Blooming success for pair's garden