Rocky Horror goes al fresco in Hamilton

The Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival will open with a repeat of last year's spectacularly successful outdoor performance of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Festival co-director Hamish Nathan said more than 2000 people packed the gardens last year to see the show on opening night.

The two-week festival starts on February 15.

Hamish said a large portion of the crowd "went all out" for the night, dressing up in stockings and stilettos.

"Even the volunteers - some of the older ladies - got into the spirit of it," he said.

The festival is being billed as the biggest and most exciting yet, with a huge line-up of acts and events, some of which are free to attend.

It will include theatre, music, dance, comedy, visual art, Maori art, literature and film.

The acts are a conglomeration of local, national, professional and amateur talent that is sure to delight.

You can order a hard copy of the festival programme at or pick one up from i-Site in Garden Place, the central library, Hamilton Gardens Information Centre, Hamilton Gardens cafe and King St Advertising. You can also access a digital version on the website.


  • 80,000-100,000 people are expected through Hamilton Gardens during the two-week festival.

  • Volunteers contribute 2000 hours of their time before and during the festival.

  • Organisers work on the festival throughout the year.

  • 75 entertainers are taking part this year in more than 150 performances.

  • At least 70 of the performances are free to the public.

- Hamilton News

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf02 at 01 Dec 2015 05:59:04 Processing Time: 605ms