If you don't feel like cooking a whole turkey roast on Christmas Day, take this quick and easy pie to the beach instead. It can also be made with shredded chicken. Prep time is 15 minutes and cooking time 30 minutes.
• 2 sheets flaky puff pastry
• 2 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
• 250g sour cream
• 2 tbsp tomato relish, blackjack sauce or other relish
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves
• salt and ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200C and place a baking tray in the oven to heat. Place a sheet of pastry on a sheet of baking paper and roll out until you can cut it into a 24cm circle (use a cake tin or plate as a guide).
2. Mix turkey or chicken with sour cream, relish, cumin, chilli powder and parsley. Spread over pastry, leaving a 2cm border.
3. Roll out the second sheet of pastry a little larger than the first so you can cut it into a 25cm circle. Place over pie and use a fork to crimp the two sheets of pastry together all around the edge. Brush the top with beaten egg and decorate with cut-outs of leftover pastry.
4. Slide the pie and baking paper onto the heated oven tray and bake until golden and puffed (about 25-30 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe extracted from Annabel's summer annual Annabel Langbein: A Free Range Life (Annabel Langbein Media, $19.95). For more great Annabel Langbein recipes see annabel-langbein.com.