Makes 4 generous serves
A rustic stew, you can use braising beef or lamb shoulder.
• 500g diced beef or lamb
• 35g flour
• 2 medium onions, finely chopped
• 2 tsp paprika powder
• 2-3 tbsp tomato puree
• 50g butter or oil
• Salt and pepper
1. Dust diced beef or lamb with seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
2. Melt the butter or oil in a heavy based pan.
3. Cook the beef in batches and set aside.
4. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the paprika and tomato puree and stir together.
5. Add the meat back into the mix. Cover with water to a level where the meat is well-submerged.
6. Add salt to taste and simmer for an around 1.5 hours till the meat is tender.
Serve with mashed potatoes or plain boiled rice.