Diners at world's best restaurant offered refund for poisoning

Danish restaurant Noma in Copenhagen. Photo / AP
Danish restaurant Noma in Copenhagen. Photo / AP

Noma, the world's top-ranked restaurant, has offered to reimburse dozens of diners who suffered food poisoning.

Denmark's two-Michelin-star Noma restaurant said that tests had shown the poisoning was caused by the stomach bug norovirus, which was brought in by a staff member.

Sixty-three customers fell ill over five days, health officials said.

Noma said customers could choose between a refund or a free meal, if they dared to return. A menu at Noma costs 1500 kroner (NZ$320). Drinks are extra.

The restaurant has been ranked No. 1 in the world by Restaurant magazine for the past three years.

Inspectors from the Danish food ministry criticised the restaurant for not alerting authorities quickly enough and for failing to take adequate action after the worker fell ill.

Noma blamed a delay in disinfecting the restaurant's kitchen on internal communication problems.

Even when members of two separate dining parties complained by email, and one employee reported being ill after handling food, no measures were taken the next day.

- AFP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a1 at 29 Jul 2014 05:33:09 Processing Time: 333ms