For my money the old Edmonds Cookbook tomato relish is one of the best. I've modified a few ingredients but essentially this is it.
• 1½kg of tomatoes (I used beefsteak)
• 2 medium red onions thinly sliced
1. Cut a small cross in the base of each tomato and blanch in boiling water to remove the skins.
2. Quarter the tomatoes, mix with the onions, sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons of salt. Leave overnight.
3. Drain off the salt the next day and put in a heavy-based pot.
• 1½ cups of brown sugar
• 1½ cups of malt vinegar
• ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
• ¼ cup of tomato paste
• 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
•1 tsp chilli powder
4. Boil all together over a low heat for 1½-2 hours, stir often. It should now be quite thick.
• 1 Tbsp curry powder
•1 Tbsp turmeric
• 2 Tbsp plain flour
• ¼ cup white or malt vinegar
5. Stir this paste into the relish and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal.
Perfect with cheese and crackersBy Grant Allen