This is a good way to use all the last tomatoes on the vine, the over-ripe ones and the not-so-perfect.
1. Place all the tomatoes on a big baking tray.
2. Add some garlic cloves and a few chopped onions. You could add red peppers.
3. Add a bit of rosemary, thyme or bay.
4. Liberally dress with olive oil.
5. Roast in a medium oven, stirring occasionally. When soft and collapsing, allow to cool and blitz to a smooth paste in a blender.
6. Force the paste through a sieve, using a wooden spoon to extract all the goodness and remove any twiggy bits.
Freeze this concentrated tomato in small portions and use to add to sauces, stews or soups.By Grant Allen