For 5 serves
• 1 loaf sourdough (we use Wild Wheat kumara sourdough)
• 1 clove peeled garlic
• 5 rashes cooked smoked streaky bacon roughly chopped
• For the broad bean and pea mix:
• 200g freshly podded broad beans
• 200g frozen peas,
• 20 medium size mint leaves,
• zest of ½ a lemon
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 50ml olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of flakey salt
• A few grinds of cracked pepper
1. Take the freshly podded broad beans and blanch in salted boiling water for one minute. Refresh in iced water, drain, then pop out of their shells. You'll be left with the bright green inner bean. Discard the shells.
2. Take the peas and blanch in salted boiling water for one minute. Refresh in iced water, drain and set aside.
3. Take the mint leaves, cut in half lengthways, remove stem, then finely shred.
4. Put the beans and peas in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
Take a potato masher and gently mash everything together until you have a crushed puree. It won't be completely smooth, but that's the idea.
5. Cut the sourdough into 1cm slices and brush with olive oil and chargrill, barbecue or simply grill until its starts to toast. Flip and repeat. When the toast is crispy and golden brown rub with the peeled clove of garlic to impart a garlicky flavour. Generously heap the broad bean and pea mixture on the toast. Finish with some olive oil and sprinkle over the bacon bits.
Serve immediately.By Grant Allen