These all require deep frying. You can use a pot on the stove. Fill it to just 2/3 with a light neutral oil such as grape seed. Bring it up to heat slowly; it is ready when a cube of bread fries golden. Cook the food in batches, then drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Beware of splashes as hot oil gives a nasty burn and is extremely flammable. Discard the oil after you have used it.
1. Combine panko breadcrumbs and thread coconut.
2. Dust prawns lightly with flour, dip in a coconut cream and egg mix and roll in the coconut breadcrumbs.
3. Cook in batches , allowing the oil to come back up to heat before starting the next .
Serve with mayonnaise flavoured with finely grated fresh ginger, crushed new season's garlic and chives.
Fish and Banana Kebabs
1. Thread a cube of fresh fish and a slice of banana onto a wooden skewer.
2. Dip into a tempura or light batter. Fry 3 or 4 at a time.
Sweet Potato Crisps
1. Slice across kumara to make very thin discs (you can leave the skin on).
2. Deep fry until crisp and golden.