A plate of crispy battered prawns, mushrooms, tomato and arugula tossed with spaghettini and a cream sauce has taken the cake as the most calorie-rich chain restaurant dish in America.
Packing a whopping 3120 calories, the Cheesecake Factory's Bistro Shrimp Pasta, which sells in Washington for $US17.95 (NZ$21.30), loomed large over other gut-busting menu items on this year's Xtreme Eating Awards list.
The countdown of high-calorie entrees and desserts is put out by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based advocacy group focusing on health, nutrition and food safety.
Among other dishes under the Xtreme Eating spotlight are the 1980-calorie Deep Dish Macaroni and 3-Cheese at Uno Chicago Grill and a 1820-calorie Chocolate Zuccotto Cake at Maggiano's Little Italy.
By way of comparison, the average adult requires 2000 calories a day.
"It's as if... major restaurant chains are scientifically engineering these extreme meals with the express purpose of promoting obesity, diabetes, and heart disease,'' said the centre's executive director, Michael Jacobson.
More than one in three adults Americans, and around 17 per cent of the nation's youth, are obese, contributing to a higher risk of high blood pressure and type two diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Xtreme Eating Awards list:
1. The Cheesecake Factory, Bistro Shrimp Pasta: 3,120 calories, 89 grams of saturated fat and 1,090 milligrams of sodium
2. The Cheesecake Factory, Crispy Chicken Costoletta: 2,610 calories and 4½ days' worth of saturated fat
3. Johnny Rockets, Bacon Cheddar Double Burger, sweet potato fries and Big Apple shake: 3,500 calories, 88 grams of saturated fat - that's four days' worth - 3,720 milligrams of sodium and 15 teaspoons of sugar
4. IHOP, Country Fried Steak and Eggs: 1,760 calories, 23 grams of saturated fat, 3,720 milligrams of salt and 11 teaspoons of sugar
5. Maggiano's Little Italy, Veal Porterhouse: 2,710 calories, 45 grams of saturated fat and 3,700 milligrams of sodium
6. Maggiano's Little Italy, Chocolate Zuccotto Cake: 1,820 calories, 62 grams of saturated fat and 26 teaspoons of sugar
7. Smoothie King, Peanut Power Plus Grape smoothie: 1,460 calories and 22 teaspoons of sugar (40 ounces)
8. Chili's, full rack of baby back ribs with Shiner Bock BBQ sauce, homestyle fried cinnamon apples: 2,330 calories, 45 grams of saturated fat and 6,490 milligrams of salt
9. Uno Chicago Grill, Deep Dish Macaroni and Three Cheese: 1,980 calories, 71 grams saturated fat, 3,110 milligrams of sodium