1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup dessert wine, plus cup extra
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mascarpone
Finely grated zest of one lemon
16 savoiardi biscuits
2 cups of mixed fresh berries
300ml fresh cream, soft-whipped, to serve (optional)
1. Make a poaching syrup for the peaches by putting the sugar, water, dessert wine and vanilla into a saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Halve the peaches and remove the stones. Peel if you wish. Lower into the syrup and poach for approximately 20 minutes depending on the size of the fruit. Remove from the liquid and let cool. Slice.
3. Whisk the mascarpone with the lemon zest and enough of the poaching liquid to create a smooth cream.
4. Pour the extra measurement of dessert wine into a dish and dip the biscuits in briefly. Layer in glass dishes with the peaches and mascarpone cream. Pour in more poaching liquid if they seem dry.
5. Cover the top with berries and dust generously with icing sugar. Top with whipped cream (optional).By Amanda Laird Email Amanda