Promoters have called in lawyers over a cancelled Australasian tour involving Compton gangster rapper The Game.

The hip-hop star behind hits like Hate It or Love It and This Is How We Do was to begin his tour shortly, including an Auckland date on September 25.

However, a war of words broke out between promoters Tour Squad and the rapper's team when a post on The Game's Facebook page called the tour "fake".

This tour is FAKE . I'm not scheduled to be in Austrailia until 2018. And it will not be my last tour . #JankyPromotor

Posted by The Game on Tuesday, 5 September 2017

A press released issued by Tour Squad today confirmed the tour had been cancelled - making The Game a no-show at four out of five planned New Zealand shows since 2009.

Advertisement

He also failed to show up for Roc Tha Block in 2009, a solo show in 2013, and again at last year's Raggamuffin festival.

Promoters apologised to ticketholders and said they were commencing legal proceedings.

"Tour Squad cannot express how deeply sorry we are for the inconvenience that has been caused to all who have purchased tickets with excitement and we are very disappointed that this it has resorted to this," the said.

"Unfortunately, we cannot control the actions of others. Our dealings have been handed over to our Australian and US legal teams and to the relevant authorities."

Ticketholders were promised refunds and a 20 per cent discount off a future Tour Squad show.