'24:Legacy' producers apologize for using Kenya attack video

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) " The executive producers of the new Fox television series "24: Legacy" apologized Thursday for using footage from a terror attack at a Kenya mall that killed 67 people.

The footage from the September 2013 attack on Westgate mall in Kenya's capital was used to depict a fictional terror attack in Egypt in the show's fourth episode, which aired Monday.

"We regretfully included news footage of an attack in Nairobi. It will be removed from all future broadcasts and versions of the show," producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto said in a statement.

They statement said they apologized "for any pain caused to the victims and their families and are deeply sorry."

It was not immediately clear how the footage of the Kenya attack was obtained.

The series debuted earlier this month.

Some Kenyans had reacted angrily on social media under the hashtag #SomeoneTellFox.

The al-Qaida-linked Somali group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the Sept. 21, 2013 attack at the upscale mall to punish Kenya for contributing troops to an African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia. The group has carried out other fatal attacks in Kenya.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 Apr 2017 17:00:07 Processing Time: 496ms