Chandler and Monica lived happily ever after in the
finale - but their love story almost didn't happen.
Here are some of the little-known facts that even the most ardent fans probably didn't know about the hit series starring Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew Perry, Matt Le Blanc, David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow.
1. Before settling on Friends, producers were tossing up between many other titles including Insomnia Cafe, Friends Like Us, Across the Hall, and Six of One.
2. Kudrow, who played Phoebe, hated playing guitar. She tried to have her character's preferred instrument changed to the bongos. Clearly she was unsuccessful - but it also explains why Phoebe knew so few chords.
3. The central love story was originally supposed to be between Monica and Joey. Producers switched it to Chandler in later versions of the script.
4. The role of Ross was written specifically for David Schwimmer. Unsurprisingly, he was the first person to be cast on the show.
5. Casting the other five 'Friends' was a little more complex. Kathy Griffin and Jane Lynch both auditioned for Phoebe and Jon Favreau and Jon Cryer both tried out for Chandler
6. Right before the show aired, the director took the whole cast to Las Vegas for a holiday.
He encouraged them to enjoy their anonymity, as he had very shrewdly predicted that life would never be the same for them after Friends hit our screens.
7. Filming a single episode took about five hours, because the crew needed 20 minute breaks between scenes to change the set and wardrobe. Most of them were filmed with a live audience of 300 fans, but producers closed the set for cliffhanger moments to avoid spoilers.
8. The famous white dog statue that Joey spends a fortune on when he 'makes it big' actually belonged to Aniston in real life. She lent it to the show for one episode - but producers liked it so much they persuaded her to let them keep it.
9. The electrical best boy on set was solely responsible of the drawings on the Magna Doodle on Joey and Chandler's door, which were always changing.
10. Bruce Willis guest starred in several episodes for free after losing a bet. His Whole Nine Yards co-star Perry made him promise that if their film was number one in the box office on opening weekend - he'd have to appear on Friends. Willis played the role of Ross' girlfriend's father and donated all his earnings to charity.