A Simpsons character voiced by an Emmy-winning actor is going to be killed off.
Al Jean, executive producer of the long-running show, has told reporters that writers are "working on a script where a character will pass away."
He would not reveal which character would die.
However, he said the actor who voiced the character had won an Emmy for the role.
"We are doing this story for the same reason we do all others - we think it has a good emotional through line," he told the Hollywood Reporter.
Jean said the death episode would air in mid-to-late 2014.
He said he hoped the episode would draw "Breaking Bad-type numbers".
Only two characters have ever been killed off in The Simpsons - Ned Flanders' wife Maude and Homer's Las Vegas wife Amber.
Simpsons characters voiced by Emmy winners:
• Anne Hathaway as Penelope (2010)
• Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson (2009)
• Kelsey Grammer as Sideshow Bob (2006)
• Castellaneta as various characters including Grampa Simpson, Barney, Krusty, Groundskeeper Willie, Mayor Quimby, Sideshow Mel (2004)
• Hank Azaria as various characters including Chief Wiggum, Moe, Cletus, Apu (2003)
• Azaria as various characters including Comic Book Guy, Moe, Wiggum (2001)
• Azaria as Apu (1998)
• Castellaneta as Homer (1993)