A prominent Kaitaia businessman facing multiple counts of sexually abusing young boys is expected to deny the charges, his lawyer says.
Daniel Taylor, 41, appeared for his third bail application in the Kaitaia District Court yesterday before Judge Greg Davis.
The application was adjourned and Taylor was again remanded in custody until his next appearance on February 20.
Taylor is yet to plead to six counts of indecently assaulting a boy under 12 years, 11 of indecently assaulting a boy 12-16, three of indecently assaulting a male over 16, and two of attempted sexual connection, one of those charges relating to a child under 12 and the other a child 12-16.
His lawyer John Munro said he expected his client to deny the charges.
Police continued to oppose bail, with prosecutor Duncan Coleman telling the court concerns regarding the potential for Taylor to interfere with victims and/or witnesses remained. Bail had already been denied twice - by Judge Davis in November and Judge John McDonald in December - and the new offering of a bail address in Auckland did not resolve those concerns.
"The risk that Taylor will try to contact victims or witnesses is a real one, irrespective of where he might be bailed to," Mr Coleman said.
Police also had concerns regarding the proposed address, as all the neighbours had children, the occupants were visited from time to time by a grandchild, both occupants had employment and the house was very close to a public playground.
Mr Munro complained that the police had opposed a rural address and were now opposing a suburban one. All suburban homes would be in some proximity to shops, schools, kindergartens and such places where children were to be found. He accepted there was a "real and appreciable" risk, but the question was how that could be managed.
"The goalposts keep moving," Mr Munro said, adding that one of the home's occupants only worked casually, and it was unrealistic to expect any occupant of a bail address to serve as a jailer.
The house was three to five minutes' drive from a police station.
Mr Munro also noted that Taylor became aware he was being investigated in September last year, but was not charged until November 15. He made no effort to interfere with anyone during that period. He also told his church and employer that he was under investigation, and that he would be "staying away".
"This man is not a predator in terms of jumping out and abducting someone," Mr Munro said.
"There is sufficient [evidence] in his conduct prior to being charged to assure the court that he will not breach (bail conditions), and while there might still be a risk, that can be managed by strict conditions."
It was unlikely that Taylor would go to trial until next year, and while Mr Munro could not say that the case against him was strong or weak, preparing for that trial would be much easier if his client was not in custody.
Taylor also had very strong family support, which he suggested could have a bearing on his ability to comply with bail conditions.
For more articles from this region, go to NORTHERN ADVOCATE