First it was the upgrade to No 1 wharf and now the demolition of disused cement silos at Whanganui's port has been signalled - all part of the bold plan to revitalise the city's waterfront.
The call has gone out for tenders for the demolition of the twin silos in Tod Street, a job which also includes disconnecting services and clearing the site.
This comes just over a week after the Government announced a $500,000 investment - in partnership with the Whanganui District Council - to develop a plan to revitalise the port. It was part of the Manawatu-Whanganui Economic Action Plan revealed in the city earlier this month.
The port plan will allow for a new marine services centre, an expanded boat building industry and a visitor services and recreational area.
One of the first steps is the relocation of Q-West's boat building premises to Tod St.
Q-West is financially investing in the project which will kick off a marine precinct development which it is hoped could service marine industry training facilities.
Tenders close on September 16.
The silos haven't been used since about 2004. Golden Bay Cement Company held the original lease on the silos for 10 years from September 1953, and that lease was renewed for another 21 years in 1963.
The cement company signed a further lease in 1984, but five years later it transferred to a trio of businessmen. In April 1995 it was leased to Milburn NZ Ltd for 10 years but in August 2004 the lease was surrendered.
Since that time the silos have been owned by Colmar Holdings, Quay Infrastructure and then River City Port before coming under Whanganui District Council Holdings control in 2010.
Holdings manages and oversees the council's commercial assets, advises on new investment opportunities and on the strategic management of those assets.
For more articles from this region, go to Wanganui Chronicle