Fire at Mount college

By -
Add a comment

A halogen lamp is believed to be responsible for causing up to $2000 of damage at Mount Maunganui College early today.
A private security company was first alerted to the early morning fire when one of their alarms sounded. When they arrived, they then called the Mount Maunganui brigade at 2.38am.
Senior station officer Roger Pickett said it appeared a halogen lamp had come on through a timing mechanism, igniting building paper at a building at the school currently being renovated.
The fire burned the floor's joists and is was expected these would need to be replaced, Mr Pickett said.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf01 at 10 Oct 2015 09:07:19 Processing Time: 909ms