A three-tonne roller being used for road works in Omokoroa caught on fire yesterday sparking a call to the fire service.
Omokoroa volunteer firefighter John Leek said the brigade was called about 2.30pm yesterday.
The roller was being used for work on a small road near the intersection of Western Ave and Omokoroa Rd.
"The roller was totally destroyed. I think they got a hell of a fright when it bust into flames,'' Mr Leek said.
He said it was a small fire but took some time to put out as petrol kept leaking from it.
"It must have been a petrol leak or something,'' he said.