Road works roller catches alight

By Staff reporter

A three-tonne roller being used for road works in Omokoroa caught on fire yesterday sparking a call to the fire service.

Omokoroa volunteer firefighter John Leek said the brigade was called about 2.30pm yesterday.

The roller was being used for work on a small road near the intersection of Western Ave and Omokoroa Rd.

"The roller was totally destroyed. I think they got a hell of a fright when it bust into flames,'' Mr Leek said.

He said it was a small fire but took some time to put out as petrol kept leaking from it.

"It must have been a petrol leak or something,'' he said.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 29 Nov 2015 23:36:34 Processing Time: 551ms