A new warning advising Bay of Plenty people not to eat shellfish has been issued.

The Ministry for Primary Industries today extended the public health warning against collecting shellfish in the region. The warning now covers the coastline from the northern end of Waihi Beach south-eastward to Opape.

Routine tests on shellfish samples taken from sites in this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning toxins above the safe limit of 0.8 mg/kg set by the ministry.

Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.

Advertisement

The ministry warned mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten.

Cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.

Symptoms of poisoning typically appear between 10 minutes and three hours after ingestion and may include:

- numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet)
- difficulty swallowing or breathing
- dizziness
- headache
- nausea
- vomiting
- diarrhoea
- paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death.

If anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from an area where a public health warning has been issued, phone Healthline for advice on 0800 61 11 16, or seek medical attention immediately.

People are also advised to contact your nearest public health unit and keep any leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.