Lunch left burning inside a pot on the stove sparked a call out for Te Puke firefighters today.

The Te Puke Volunteer Fire Brigade were called to a house in Waitangi just after midday.

Chief fire officer Glenn Williams said a pot had been left on a stove and the person living at the house had gone ''down the road and forgotten all about it''.

''It got very hot and filled the house with smoke,'' he said.

Advertisement

Fire fighters opened windows and doors to clear the smoke.

''There was no fire, just heat,'' said Mr Williams.