Thirteen people have died in seven crashes on Western Bay roads so far this year - the latest of these yesterday's Kaimai crash which claimed one life.
Western Bay of Plenty road policing manager Senior Sergeant Ian Campion said police were continuing to investigate the most recent fatalities.
He said the investigation into the head-on collision between a car and a logging truck on SH2 on August 2 in which five Tongan coolstore workers were killed was yet to be completed. There were still some details to finalise before the matter was referred to the coroner, he said.
Police were also continuing to investigate the July 29 tyre-changing collision on SH29A in which two people died and a third was seriously injured but Mr Campion said it was too early to say whether charges would be laid.
New Zealand Transport Agency Bay of Plenty highways manager Niclas Johansson said the organisation was working to make SH2 safer.
Mr Johansson said in early July a wire rope safety barrier was installed on SH2 between Turner Rd and Sargent Drive, and more barriers and other safety initiatives would be installed as part of the $520 million roading package announced earlier this year.