Crewman stable after injury on ship

By Sandra Conchie

1 comment


The Filipino crewman injured on board a logging ship at Port of Tauranga was transferred from intensive care to a general ward at Tauranga Hospital last night.

The 42-year-old crewman suffered lacerations to his upper chest and neck while working on board the Nordic Visby about 5.30am on Thursday after a crane boom collapsed. A piece of machinery struck the seaman after a cable snapped while a winch was being repaired.

A Maritime New Zealand spokesperson told the Bay of Plenty Times last night an investigation was yet to be completed but the ship had been given clearance to depart Tauranga.

However, the four cranes on board could not be used until the manufacturer had been contacted, and a qualified person had checked them over, she said.

A Tauranga Hospital spokesperson confirmed that the crewman was transferred from intensive care to a ward about 7pm and was in a stable condition.

The Nordic Visby was originally due to set sail for Lanshan, China, last night but the Port of Tauranga shipping timetable has been updated to show it is now scheduled to depart at 9.33pm tomorrow.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Sort by
  • Oldest

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 25 Oct 2014 00:20:57 Processing Time: 615ms