Toddler recovering after fall in rubbish fire


A 14-month-old Papamoa boy is recovering in an Auckland hospital after being seriously burnt when he fell into a rubbish fire.

A Middlemore Hospital spokesperson said the boy was in a stable condition in intensive care.

TECT Trustpower rescue helicopter pilot Liam Brettkelly said the toddler, who had just started walking, was visiting family in Edgecumbe on Friday afternoon when the accident happened.

"A family member was burning rubbish when the toddler stumbled into the fire, receiving burns to his hands and feet as well as other areas of his body," he said.

The Tauranga-based helicopter flew to the scene and airlifted the boy and his mother straight to Middlemore Hospital.

St John paramedics stabilised the boy at the scene.


- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


Sort by
  • Oldest

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 27 May 2017 10:15:43 Processing Time: 308ms