A Tauranga youth accused of bashing a 15-year-old boy, who was hospitalised with a broken jaw, and also assaulting and robbing a man who went to the boy's aid has been bailed.
The 14-year-old, who has automatic name suppression, and faces two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and one charge of aggravated robbery has been in custody since his arrest earlier this month.
In Tauranga Youth Court yesterday after police withdrew their opposition to bail subject to a raft of strict conditions being imposed, Judge Christopher Harding granted bail in the youth's absence.
His bail conditions include a 24-hour a day curfew unless at school, in the company of his parents or an approved adult.
The bailed youth and two 15-year-olds, also charged with the same offences, who were earlier bailed are due back in court on March 11.
The father and grandfather of the 15-year-old injured boy were present during the tension-filled bail hearing.
Outside court the father said he hoped his son would be well enough to return to school next week.
Meanwhile, the identity of a Tauranga man accused of sexual assault of a woman in South Auckland last month remains a secret for now.
The man in his 20s who is charged with sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection was granted interim name suppression when he appeared in Tauranga District Court yesterday.
The main reason was to allow the defendant, who is back in court today to make a bail application, sufficient time to inform his family.
Judge Thomas Ingram said the issue of name suppression would be also be revisited today.